Posted on 19th September 2018
Court Bank Farm care about the safety of all our liveries and we strongly recommend using a neck strap.
I have to admit that I won’t get on my horse without one and I don’t mean a stiff drink although that might help at times! I am talking about a neck strap and I am in good company as William Fox Pitt doesn’t ride without one either.
To see the master in action click here
For that ……. you never know moment…………… whether you have a school master or a youngster a neck strap can be a life saver.
If you are riding a horse that’s a little fresh, keeping one finger hooked around your neck strap can be helpful in making you feel a bit more secure. Of course it’s not necessarily going to stop you from falling off but if the horse shoots sideways and you have hold of a neck strap there is more chance you will stay with it. If you just had hold of the reins the chances are you could lose your balance and grab the reins, whereupon the horse shoots his head up and runs away from sudden rein pressure … so what could have been a simple step sideways turns into a drama.
Not all accidents can be avoided but anything to help us stop on must be a good thing I feel vulnerable without riding out with my neck strap.
Put it on you Christmas list!
Posted on 13th September 2018
The Village Hall committee and Cannock Wood Parish Council have purchased a defibrillator which is now situated on the wall outside the Village Hall – it’s east to operate – to gain access dial 999 and quote the code which is on the front of the cabinet, this gives the geographical location for the emergency services – the equipment can be taken to the person who needs it rather than taking the patient to the Village Hall – clear verbal instructions are given on how to operate the equipment.
Posted on 10th September 2018
1. Sorry, we seem to have run out of teabags,milk and sugar.
2. Oh, I forgot to tell you I’d bought another horse. It’s a Shetland, Shire unbroken, unhandled two-year-old fresh off the moors. You don’t mind doing it while you’re here, do you?
3. Sorry, I should have told you he kicks a bit. Are you all right down there on the floor?
4. I thought I’d leave them out until you got here as it’s such a nice day. I think they’re at the other end of the 80-acre field – I shouldn’t be more than an hour or so catching them.
5. I’ve got to go now, so when you’ve finished could you rug her up, put her brushing boots, overreach boots and fly spray on and turn her out into the far field for me? Thanks.
6. It must be great working outside all day! (said in the middle of winter, when your farrier’s nose is blue, he’s got a hacking cough and he’s having to wave his hands in front of the forge to feel his fingers).
7. She’s lost a shoe, can you come out in the next hour? Well, this evening then? Tomorrow morning? You’re not very flexible, are you?
8. Oh, sorry, I forgot to bring you any money. I’ll pay you next time.
9. Yes, I put a good coating of hoof oil on her feet just before you got here. Doesn’t she look smart?
10. Didn’t I tell you I wanted stud holes/road nails/extra quarter clips? Can you take them off and start again?
11. How funny – he’s done that to my last two farriers as well! Isn’t he a character?
12. Thank goodness you’re here! My last farrier refused to come back after the third concussion.
13. She lost that shoe a month ago, but I thought I’d leave it until her other feet needed doing.
To find a registered and qualified farrier please do click here
Joking apart good reliable farriers are hard to come by and we are very luck to have quite a few who visit our yard.
So next time your farrier comes put the kettle on!
Posted on 21st August 2018
Pictures From The Weight Clinic
Thank you to Kirsty and Olivia for sending me some great pictures of our very successful weight clinic.
I was particularly pleased with Little Mischief who had lost 50 kg since his last weigh in back in January and his body condition score had gone from a 6 to a very impressive 5.5!!
A big thank you to Olivia for organising everything and the lovely lady from Spillers.
A very handsome Captain
Posted on 17th August 2018
Just a quick reminder that it is our weight clinic this sunday. Please do see Olivia for your time slots . (stable 57)